Remember a while ago I tried to convince people at my former school to have my good friend Adam Briki to be the head boy? Yeah, you probably do. You probably thought I was "wasting my time" and I was "taking this too seriously".
Well, it didn't work, though you probably knew that. I've been accused of what I can understandably see from Adam's point of view as disloyalty with a stray "you're my favourite!" remark to someone. Yeah it's very cheesy and inconsequential, but I obviously must have upset Mr. Briki a little bit to have got this in my inbox on Facebook:
OHH I SEE, I DIDNT MAKE IT AS HEAD BOY, SO YOU DROPPED ME LIKE A ROCK!!!
Well I'm not going to go through what I did and all that - this is private business I will resolve with Adam personally, I won't cloud relations with anyone with stuff like this, I'm everyone's friend! - but it did get me thinking: why did it all go to waste?
A bulleted list is called for!
- Firstly, it was my understanding that the old school were going to come out of the 1850s and have a democratic election for this position, a bit like you get in the United States. Sure, there would have been short-lists. But the fundamental flaw was that democracy failed and it was basically more of the same. I've outlined my complaints and grievances with the head boy system earlier. I'm still pretty annoyed that other people who share my passion for change aren't getting the prestige and visibility needed to do anything. I hope Mr. Nickerson will show my assumptions of his head boyship turning out as "just another figurehead" wrong.
- On a side note, Ben Bryant was meant to be on the short-listing committee that rejected Adam. I'm yet to see any proof he attended such a meeting. Now, if it had been me, I would have been down there like a shot. There is a difference between "figureheads" and "dedicated people"
- It was never really marketed correctly. The message - and Adam had one and still does! Perseverance is bliss! - never really got out. Yeah, we had a Facebook page. Yeah, we had a few posters on there. But it stayed there. Surely people would have been more aware with posters actually on walls and the manifesto distributed far and wide.
- People put their assumptions before logic. "I don't like Adam because I think he acts like a bit of a tw*t." Yeah, mature way of thinking for people on the brink of adult life. I hate it. The manifesto was blinking good and if people had read it with an open mind then I don't know, maybe the pigs would have taken off, mountains would have been flattened and Adam would have got in there.
So what do we do? I'll leave the Facebook page there as there's no reason that you shouldn't be allowed to see what could have been. A link is provided to the left. I just think it is a real shame that Adam, like me, is one of criminally few people at Glyn who do give a damn about things generally, and don't hold the "it's alright, it's only school!" mentality. What will Adam do? He'll do his damndest to carry on the work I started and hoped someone would continue. What will I do? Well, to be a bit cheeky, I'll just continue backing Briki all the way, for him, for me and for my friends. You can do it Adam, even without the powers that probably don't exist!
Cause hes a twat
ReplyDelete