As of Jan 1st 2013, this blog is retired. If you're not redirected, click here!

Friday, September 05, 2008

A National Disgrace

Right, just a quick rant-style blog before we get to the nitty gritty. I know "Pillars of Inspiration" has gone down like a lead balloon so maybe toning down the "my friends are so cool" rhetoric needs to be done, and also I missed out on some key people. Reason being any Tom, Dick and Harry can come on this site and wonder who these people are. Doesn't really work on that basis.

Anyway, this choked the news yesterday and I'm not brilliantly impressed by it. I don;t for one minute proclaim to know anything about football or what have you but these things come to mind:

  • What's the big deal? This guy is an old relic who managed a football tam at some point and threw his toys out of the pram for not being given complete control. Surely this club can actually survive without him? I'm sure. Let the past go, surely.
  • Don't these people have anything better to do? I'm concerned that these people have time to make placards and banners and protest about something that in all fairness is pretty trivial. A private business decision blown out of proportion both by these legions of "fans" who for no clear reason idolise Keegan. Surely a more productive way to spend the day would be to work to give better existences to themselves.

Football hooligansTo be honest, football itself doesn't endear itself to me at all. From where I see it, it's very money-oriented (players, I feel, are hideously over-paid, especially in times of economic crisis for us "normal folk". If I was Prime Minister I would definitely aim to curtail or cap their salaries or gain hefty tax that helps improve society), is corrupt and full of skullduggery, is dirty (footballers, over-paid and under-educated, think they can do what they like and evade the law. We need to get tough on these people; being whoever isn't a licence to do what you like) and is a national embarrassment due to heavy hooliganism.

Football hooligan website Only in "Great" Britain do people assault the police who are just keeping the peace and batter them to serious injury over something incredibly farcical as the result of a football game. Even more worrying is the existence of a pro-hooligan web site advertising T-shirts and hats, even links to other criminal or badly-behaved "firms", among other things.  You can't make this stuff up.

You don't get this with nice sports like tennis, do you? Did we struggle through two world wars for this? It embarrasses me culturally (these people have no culture) and nationally.

Remember, I'm not patriotic because I don't go for all this buzz. Rubbish - anyone who knew me or read my articles should know I love my country and just want to improve it and make it great again.

Just a thought.

4 comments:

  1. "Did we struggle through two world wars for this?"
    Godwin's Law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From where I see it, it's very money-oriented (players, I feel, are hideously over-paid, especially in times of economic crisis for us "normal folk".

    Holy shit guys, food prices went up 20%. Time to heckle the footballers.

    Recent news is a good way to go, but tag the entry at least. Alas, a tard you remain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People live their lives so they can be entertained (working is only a means of achieving this), that's why one of the largest entertainment industries in the UK means a lot to people. Although there's no way I can defend the sites that promote violent hooliganism (the only thing comical about it is the word itself).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry but i don't subscribe to your ramblings. You must be (great) British because this football culture is something most English have grown up with and a lot of working class people (and middle class nowadays) identify with - it gives them a release from the tediousness of life. and as for patriotism, why not wear it on your sleeve - I am English, not British, or European. You wouldn't find the scots (sic) calling themselves British - or the Welsh for that matter. "Only in "Great" Britain do people assault the police who are just keeping the peace and batter them to serious injury over something incredibly farcical as the result of a football game" - how uninformed can you be??? Not saying it is right but before you comment like this check your facts and google football and its fans in Italy/Spain/Turkey/Argentina/Germany/Holland/Poland to name but a few. As for the "sites" with hooligan wares for sale - DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE. You wouldn't catch a hooligan wearing any of the stuff they sell, and you wouldn't be able to tell a serious career hooligan if you were standing next to one, which you may be next time you go out. Think about it !!

    ReplyDelete