As of Jan 1st 2013, this blog is retired. If you're not redirected, click here!

Saturday, March 01, 2008

A Cancelled Speech

Outrage!

I know - unthinkable isn't it? But my planned speech - which I will say now was unimaginably great, and full of positive vibes - has been cancelled. But that is not how it was put; this is how I have interpreted it - allow me to explain what happened and how I can go forward.

I sent the speech off to be read and vetted by the powers that be at school, no problems - but I got an email back saying that they were "not particularly happy" with it, which of course, is a totally fair and understandable way of thinking, although i didn't agree totally. And it turns out that my idea of a speech is the "wrong approach to new prefects". Again, they're entitled to say this, of course, but I'm just a little bit perplexed: surely using my eloquence and crowd relations would be a bit better then just "easing in" the new prefects.

As this is a part of Prefect Reform, I think it could be better to  present the new system publicly like this. And this speech was a key part of Prefect Reform - so if this is now on the junk heap, why bother with anything I mentioned in my report?

Obviously, we'll have to see if people bring it up at the Student Council - a last ditch rescue attempt? Maybe. But it would be nice for me to do this speech - possibly my last one of Glyn - so obviously we'll have to wait and see.

If it comes to it, it's alright if the rescue attempt fails. I'm sure there will be other opportunities for a speech. Just a bit annoyed that this one has potentially been swiped from under my nose.

2 comments:

  1. It's Student Voice, not the Student Council ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe they just didnt agree with what you were saying, just a thought

    ReplyDelete