As of Jan 1st 2013, this blog is retired. If you're not redirected, click here!

Saturday, December 01, 2012

Nanowrimo: Endnotes, Epilogues and Afterwords

Lightning indeed struck for the third time yesterday as I finished Nanowrimo 2012 with 50,095 words on my space opera book The World Eaters (TWE). Today I would like to run through a few overriding thoughts of the month gone by:

  • Even though I pre-planned quite splendidly, I found TWE a difficult book to gel into, maybe because I was trying to cram a book of epic scope and original thought into a compressed timeframe, and this hampered the writing process.
  • I felt acutely aware this year that my writing was clunky, poor quality and garbage; hence no extract. However I am really quite excited about the prospects The World Eaters has and am keen to develop it in 2013.
  • However encouragingly, I really, really enjoyed the idea of an epic space opera and I look forward a lot to expanding the universe created in TWE and sharing it with you! You’re going to love it!
  • Scrivener was a wonderful writing environment to work in. Highly recommended!
  • For the first time, I hit 50,000 words without reaching the story’s conclusion; out of 30 planned chapters (eventually there will be 33) I hit 26. I’m a little disappointed as I wanted the momentum of Nanowrimo to propel me throughout the entire narrative as I really do fear losing steam after November ends; I have decided to take a week or two off from TWE and polish off first drafts of those last chapters in the latter part of December over Christmas.

I’m going to let the dust settle on another hectec year of Nanowrimo before doing any more writing. I am mentally exhausted but as previously it’s a strangely-addictive feeling of burnout that is quite exciting in a way. I’m going to for the first part of 2013 put TWE on ice for a little bit; I’m actually totally fatigued from the universe but this is temporary. My aim for now is to get Colonisation out there, so stay tuned!

I’d also really like to congratulate my Twitter Nano pals Jake and Yin for their efforts this month too. Well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment