As of Jan 1st 2013, this blog is retired. If you're not redirected, click here!

Monday, August 20, 2012

An Audio Adventure

This is a little bit weird, because it related to my in-hiatus steampunk novel The Last of the Steamers, but I shall press on nevertheless, for I’ve something very exciting to announce!

Well, rather, over the course of my blog, I’ve strongly hinted at an audio reading of the first three chapters of my novel, The Last of the Steamers quite a few times, so sporadic in fact that it took me a little while to collate these hint-er-oonies. But I found them and you can click through down memory lane in no particular order here, here, here and here.

Over the last 8 months though, I’ve worked with my good friends Elliot and Jamie and we’ve produced to quite a professional standard a nice audio reading of these chapters.  They’re accompanied by some very fitting music from classic (and downright awesome) steampunk RPG Arcanum which was written by Ben Houge, whose music really did fill out and polish off an epic game of its own right.

Below, I’ve embedded a Soundcloud player where you can stream all 3 chapters in their entirety; you can also download the MP3s for later, as the whole three chapters runs to about an hour and a half. Maybe sync them to your smartPod or iMusic or whatever. I find I can listen to audiobooks and podcasts quite nicely in bed.

Hopefully we’ll do more audio readings, maybe of Oranges and Lemons or Quigley Hubb, but to do an amateur audiobook for my upcoming finished (shock, horror) novel Colonisation will be a ton of work but we’ll see how Steamers 1-3 is received. It’ll be an interesting experiment to see how this method of distribution and awareness-raising works!

I also realise that Steamers is already an anachronism here; I tend to go for sci-fi almost purely now. But my plans for Steamers have been reignited by this audio project, and next year I’m going to devote the time it deserves to finish Steamers and maybe get it out there in full! I’m sure you’ll love it!

The Last of the Steamers Audiobook Preview by Richard Holliday

I’ve also included a little video we made when recording Chapter 1 in December 2011, which is quite cool:

No comments:

Post a Comment