I think I need to clarify my thoughts from my previous post, which in hindsight may be interpreted wrongly.
I wasn’t against the Royal Wedding itself – it was a lovely state occasion showing off to the world just how classy a party Britain can throw; an opportunity we didn’t waste – just against the veritable smorgasbord of tat and questionable media interest (Daily Mail, I’m looking at you again).
I was pleased to see so many people – myself included, I must say – happy and celebrating a great occasion. I found it hard to empathise with people who thought it was a “national embarrassment” or who tried to politicise it with comments about the apparent lack of TV coverage of Ed Miliband and his partner, though surely TV coverage should only be reserved for people who are actually important, or those who commented that it was an “extravagance” that we the taxpayer were funding.
For a day where everyone’s happy, who cares? Surely that’s worth it?
The Monarchy in this country is an odd thing. Yes, it might seem an anachronism in today’s modern age, but I think it’s a symbol of rich British history that should be cherished. And, besides the short-sighted claims that the Royalty sponge off the taxpayer, it helps the economy with vast swathes of tourists clamouring all over the place to get a glimpse.
And besides, there is no symbol more powerful in this country, and none that strengthens any (proper) Briton’s resolve and enjoys their adoration then their Queen.
Plus, Union Flags are much more eye-pleasing than St Georges Crosses, as the latter evokes tasteless, low-brow football fannery in my eyes.
No comments:
Post a Comment