I’m pretty appalled at the prospects of prisoners getting the vote, as the European Court of Human Rights has deemed we must, after a petition by former inmate John Hurst, who incidentally served 18 years for axing his landlady to death in 1980.
The question in point is: is the vote a human right to prisoners?
What happened to the human rights of the victims of these crimes?
When I was brought up, crime was punished by the offender losing his rights to be a member of society. Committing a crime is an intelligent decision on the part of that person to leave the confines of civilised society in order to further their own ends, for whatever reason that may be. In my eyes, if you do that, why should you, whilst being punished for this contravention of the laws of society, have the opportunity to modify and participate in the creation of those laws? It’s crazy, and we can’t have this.in our society.
There’s a debate going on right now in the House of Commons about this issue, and I’m pretty pleased to see both Labour and Conservative Members working together to quash this notion and send a message to the European Court that our democracy will not be pushed around by unelected civil servants in Brussels. The Eurosceptic in me looks forward to our government sticking one to the European establishment.
I’ve embedded below of axe-murderer John Hirst getting a deserved grilling on the Daily Politics by Andrew Neil this afternoon.
In other news, I’m 21 today! Happy days!
No comments:
Post a Comment