As of Jan 1st 2013, this blog is retired. If you're not redirected, click here!

Monday, August 23, 2010

Secret Project Announcement!

Top SecretSome of you might have heard me speak of a “secret project” that I’m working on, and I think it’s only right that I make a little announcement of my plans, just to prove that this project does indeed exist and I’m not fobbing you all off, and how, fantastically, everyone can participate!

I’m sure this blog stands as  testament enough for my passion for the written word. I’ve decided to take this to the next level: actually write some prose! Real life fiction! No Doctor Who fan-scripts; actual 100% original fiction. I’m actually going to take a break from science fiction in this context for a while. It’s an idea that has been circulating in my mind for ages, and I’ve decided to act upon my impulses and get to it this November.

National Novel Writing Month“November?” I hear you say. Well, there’s a fantastic little project that runs every November that I think will be an excellent place to test my mettle: it’s known as NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month. The basic premise is to write a 50,000 word novel in its entirely between November 1st and November 31st. No pre-written prose is allowed, but you are allowed to use notes and brief scribblings and scrawls. The prize? Satisfaction that you’ve managed to write 50,000 words of contiguous prose in a month. Awesome.

I’ve done some cursory note-taking and thoughts about such a novel, and after listening to numerous fabulous audiobooks from Patricia Cornwell’s Kay Scarpetta series (I highly recommend; think, in the most basic terms, a female Gil Grissom), I’m going to try my hand at a bit of crime fiction. I’ve had a few ideas around conspiracies regarding animal testing as plot points too… would love feedback on those.

I’ll also be blogging about my progress here as November dawns and progresses, and, hopefully, a masterpiece germinates from the foetus in my brain to an actual, living Word document full of my imaginative results!

Feedback!I’m also spicing this up a little by allowing people to sponsor me to achieve this task – and any proceeds will go to charity. I’m yet to decide a charity to subscribe to; I leave it up to you to suggest a worthy cause in the comments (whether on the actual site or when it’s syndicated across to Facebook) or on my Facebook profile directly, and I’ll make a decision later. It’s official – I’m crowdsourcing the charity aspect of it. Please, get involved and make a suggestion.

Isn’t this wonderful? I think so. I hope you’ll all think what I’m about to endeavour on is a project worthy of it’s “secret” status. Yes, it’s oddball, but I’m oddball and it’s something I really want to do. If needy people benefit indirectly, then that’s great.

Look forward to hearing what you all think.

3 comments:

  1. Police homicide detective is on a routine check at an accident at an animal testing facility - main researcher has seemingly been mauled to death by his subjects.

    Researcher was testing a new criminal-finding technique (that for some reason needed to be tested on animals, I don't know), turns out it was being sponsored by the police, big conspiracy and all that, then after months, maybe years, researcher finds it can't be done - always ends up with animals dying of seemingly natural causes. When he tries to give up and publish results in a journal, police have him killed because they can still use the technique and get away with the death bit (looks like natural causes remember).

    So yeah, the police had researcher killed and are trying to cover it up, end up trying to kill off main detective charcater guy because he won't let it go, he goes on the run and has to solve it alone to clear his name. Nobody else believes him, whole country looking for him, told he's a terrorist and all that.

    Then he solves it and everyone lives happily ever after.

    ALTERNATE ENDING
    Detective solves it, is going to tell the public, but realises that doing so would completely destroy society, what with no police (because they were all in on it), riots, all this kind of thing. So he keps quiet, for the good of the country, and there's all moral dilemma, ethical problems, that sort of thing.



    How's that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I appreciate input, I really wasn't asking to have the plot written for me. I can do that myself, got some good ideas already, thanks.

    I also disapprove of the offensive-to-the-mentally-ill username you posted under; at least use your Christian name, if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I disapprove of your offensive-to-non-Christians use of the phrase "Christian name".

    ReplyDelete