As of Jan 1st 2013, this blog is retired. If you're not redirected, click here!

Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Step Backwards?

I know that I have left Glyn School and it really is none of my business to go on about happenings there but I have received quite an angry opinion on what's going on there, and I feel compelled to at least give my opinion on the story.

It all revolves around the perceived "non-event" of the Head Boy selection. First though I'm actually really happy to be informed that it will be held as some form of democratic process and an election will be held, which is good. I always thought it was a farce and a way of doing things suck in the 1890s by not having free elections. Obviously I covered this massively (to the annoyance of a few readers) in my reform proposals blog here and other related musings here.

Richard HollidayActually, I'm quite happy that the powers that be decided to have an election on their own thoughts, as I in hindsight thought I should have gone on about that in my Prefect Reform Paper, which has at least been partially implemented. To be honest, I didn't realistically see any of it getting played out and put into action, but I was very surprised to get a phone call at home regarding the paper and a special meeting was called to address what I had brought up. That made me really happy, and shows that if you put the effort to get things written down and propose reasoned change it can at least be recognised. And yes, there were the people that asked my why I had bothered as it was school and "didn't matter"; well it obviously did! Anyway, I am digressing terribly from what I want to say.

Anyway, it would seem the school's idea of moving forward is half-baked at best. They've decided to go about having a round of votes, with the necessary glam speeches and presentations, which I have no objection to, having made my name on that stage, but before all this comes a panel of interviews by, I'm assuming, senior folk and the like.

Why? As far as I am aware, not that many people even bothered to put their names down. So why not just spare an hour session to get the speeches done and the vote cast. The main gripe I've been presented with is that of: "how do these people on the panel decide who is better?"

Obviously my solution is this: if you want to keep the solution of this transparent, you first make the criteria you will be judged on public before the interviews and avoid using biased teachers. When I say biased, I refer to those who may overly know one candidate over another, from rugby tours or whatever.

So the problem at hand is quite simple: seemingly arbitrary rejections of two probably-decent candidates with no reason given. At least tell them why they didn't make the grade!

This doesn't appear to have happened, and to be honest, I expected the school to botch this attempt at democracy. And yeah, I'm being very critical and cynical. My motto is that if you are going to go about running a system like this, you run it professionally and competently. God himself only knows why Adam Briki and Padhraic Comerford (go Podge!) have seemingly fallen by the wayside. I'm disappointed as I have put a fair amount of effort into the Briki campaign - there is a link to his page down the side.

There are two ways I can think of to address this problem:

Number one: write an email to Mrs. Pearson or whoever asking what on earth is going on. The big issue here is that I really have no influence. Some of my critics would argue that I never really did even at the school as a full time student, but that's a different argument. Sure I wrote the paper on prefect reform a while back and it got a good reception. But there was nothing in it describing the head boy system in detail, so I can't say "you've gone against what I said", and to be honest, they never really concretely said to me that "we will implement every single word of this". Yeah they took it on board, but it was not treated as the Ten Commandments. Nor is it really my place to question it as a now former student. Somehow my Pupil's Pupil Award doesn't give me the leverage I would need for me to go bossing around, even on someone else's behalf. So with no real power or influence I can't go about this.

Solution two: have words with the one person I know who has a shred of influence. That would be the outgoing Head Boy, Ben Bryant. Yes he is a nice guy, but I remain committed to my thoughts that he's a bit ineffectual. Yes I get on with him (to be honest it's hard not to) but I feel that as the Pupil's Pupil I have some responsibility to my followers in Year 12, and I will in no uncertain terms be asking Ben what happened and what he is going to do about it. And yeah, I could bring up the whole story that "if I was head boy I would have done this differently..." but that's futile. Let's just hope that Ben has some opportunity left to at least stick an oar in.

Anyway, I shall try to wean myself off the school-topic blogs, but I remain committed to keeping a link to the school as I do have a lot to owe it for and obviously have friends there who have aspirations as high as myself, maybe more so, therefore an intrinsic link with the school remains. So I will definitely keep an eye on this business.

Tom Comerford and Richard HollidayThanks to Tom Comerford for bringing this to my attention, he isn't a happy bunny about this injustice not just to his brother Padhraic, but also to Adam Briki, and to be honest, I don't blame him. Also I thank him for coming to me with the belief that I will do something to help. It's touching and I hope I have served my pledge well.

UPDATE: The following has appeared on the school web site:

Head & Deputy Headboys

I am pleased to announce that David Nickerson is Headboy for 2008/09. The Deputy Headboys are Sean Boyton and William Mann. We wish them every success in their roles.

Date Posted: 22/07/2008

It seems they've decided to remain in the Dark Ages, though Mr. Nickerson is very committed and I am sure he will prove effective. And Will Mann in any position of power is quite a concern, though I will outline why later.

2 comments:

  1. "As far as I am aware, not that many people even bothered to put their names down." - There's a good reason for that.

    "arbitrary rejections of two probably-decent candidates with no reason given." - There's also a good reason for that too...

    "Somehow my Pupil's Pupil Award doesn't give me the leverage I would need for me to go bossing around" - It should have any leverage at all? :/

    Your idea of turning the process into a democratic election is by far the most niave one. The majority of the school do not care about who gets to be head boy, and if it was down to us we'd pick the most talkative comedian we had and let him make the decisions. At least with the way things are run the candidate will have a reputation of responsibility to back him up.

    This idea of presentations and speeches seems ridiculous, we wasted enough of our time on pathetic school rituals without this. I don't see any serious student wanting to come to study at Glyn if this is the way you'd want things to be run. Keep this crap for the skilless kids in the lower years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ololol Will Mann

    What a knob

    ReplyDelete