OK, I apologise for the other day's lacklustre entry, which myself am not terribly thrilled with.
But today, let us tackle another important issue.
My school has taken it upon itself to ban the Sun newspaper - and others of a similar (lack of) quality : the Mirror, the Star and the Sport. This is because of the inappropriate content; not just Page Three with the topless girls, but moreover the degrading attitudes towards women posed across these publications, toilet humour, overt racism and other immature campaigns - a fine example being the Sun's five-star(!) response to the Archbishop of Canterbury comments on Sharia law being "Bash the Bishop", which for those of you who might not be aware, is a sly term for masturbation. You couldn't make this stuff up.
Is this the sort of thing we want being read in our schools? Does it promote rational, mature argument and commentary? No. Does it incite people to jump on bandwagons, most of which are ill-thought out or down-right stupid? Yes.
What's important is that the school is not banning the reading of these publications outside of the school environment - that would e censorship and invasion of privacy, and to be honest, wouldn't work. But I do think the in-school ban is a good idea. The school provides a nice selection of literature daily that I think is a full of rational discussion, comment and ideas - the Times, Telegraph and the Spectator.
I read both of these papers in the Library daily. Compared to the likes of the Sun, it's a breath of fresh air. I think that those who do choose to read the Sun need to expand their horizons, get into more mature papers and get a better sight into the views of others - even upgrading to the Daily Mail would be seen as an improvement. With these tabloids you don't get a balance argument, and I think that is bad, it puts across ignorant or wrong messages, and in today's society, an unbiased media is crucial.
A great example of this is the Sun in election mode: first, they supported the Conservative Party in 1992, but in 1997 switched to Labour with no real reason. I think I know it: they only back the surefire winner. Is this biased rubbish what we need? No. Does the fact that this rag is the best selling newspaper in our great country boggle my mind? Yes.
Anyway, back to the issue at hand: I think we need two things to make this rule better enforced:
- We need to educate the masses as to the finer details of the ban. A brief two-line notice in one day's Headlines is not enough. What I'm going to do, in conjunction with the Head Boy, is work towards putting something about papers in a speech with other new initiatives for all to hear, and also starting some form of poster campaign.
- Prefects need to take an active role in enforcing this. They need to go after the paper with power. I think we also need to explain the various rules that they are expected to enforce.
If we can do this, then consider this another victory of the sensible majority over not a "thick" minority, but rather people who with a little bit of education and explanation could see our point and agree.
I'll be speaking to the Head Boy over the next few days. Let's get this speech done, let's move forward and improve!
I read the Sun for a laugh, not because I believe the crap it prints. Regardless of politically correct opinions, it has some entertaining stories.
ReplyDeleteSorry Rich but i really have to disagree, it's a matter of freedom of choice. If people simply want to read the Sun then so be it. The paper may not be perfect, but how many are? The Guardian is awful grammatically but is the easiest reading "good quality paper", the times is notoriously difficult to read-and the print comes off on your hands, the size of the telegraph is inconvienient. All these papers also contain what i'm sure you would see as inappropriate opinions in the comments sections. The Sun is by no means perfect, but it brings important news to the masses, it may take a certain viewpoint but the important information is there. Nearly every newspaper will put a spin on the news, why else would the Telegraph be known as the torygraph? I also think the Daily Mail is a far more Fascist paper that blames many problems on illegal immigrants and children (which highlights one source for the views older generations have a children as you previously outlined). The Sun also has one of the best political commentators around in the form of Trevor Kavanagh. I don't mean to rant but I just find this article of yours hugely elitist. Newspapers are a source of income,they are a business like any other, they aim to make money, hence the change in political affiliation by the Sun. And as we've discussed in politics newspapers only reinforce peoples perceptions, they dont create them, maybe the paper just reflects how many rascist womenisers there are? I don't believe the Sun that offensive, but thats just my opinion, your welcome to have yours, i may be wrong.
ReplyDeleteI actually do agree with you Rich... it's the school's choice considering it's their premises. People have the right to read what they want in their own time, but if the school wants to stop it in school then that's their decision.
ReplyDeleteAlthough... I admit I have read the Sun on occasion, I just enjoy the puns in the titles.
Also rich... when you ask a rhetorical question in your blogs, it's probably best if you don't then answer it afterwards. Let the reader do it.
All newspapers are biased. You have to pick the facts out or turn to alternative news sources, such as internet sites - www.theonion.com is an especially unbiased source, though more focused towards America.
ReplyDelete