More haste and less speed is sometimes key with publishing on the Internet.
Felt like doing a quick blog to share something interesting. Had a funny story with regards to the Quigley Hubb story that I published here very recently. I left some plot notes in the actual book! Ouch!
That’s to say I’d left some bulleted lists written purely for my own purposes for future ideas and scene finishing in the actual story, which blew the plot on two occasions! I was pretty embarrassed but a good friend of mine, Jamie (whose site you can visit here) was kind enough to read the story and email me to say I needed to revise them. Done so now, all current links sill function.
Got me thinkin’ about this online publishing business. With Quigley Hubb and other short stories to come, I plan to put them here without any editing or whatnot. I just want them out and available for general consumption while I work on my big book, like Colonisation; however, for these online edits, there will be basically no redrafting. The double-edged sword has nicked me on this occasion.
But the best way to learn how to get the optimum workflow is to make these little errors and learn from them. So if you read the story (and quite a few page views suggest this is the case) and were confused or deflated by the presence of these writer’s notes, no worries. I’ll try not to be quite so hasty and give everything an actual proofread, even of the brisk kind, before I click the big button.
If you haven’t read Quigley Hubb 1 – Munro’s Wager click HERE! Thanks! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment