As of Jan 1st 2013, this blog is retired. If you're not redirected, click here!

Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Not-Such-A-Short Short Story

I proudly announce my new casual sci-fi short-story thing.

While I wait for my lovely beta-readers to chew the cud with Colonisation, I thought it’d be nice to inform you all of my new project whose completion is, shall we say, imminent.

I decided that Colonisation, while a proud standard in my books, was awfully serious. To keep up my chain of writing days, I decided to create something that may not be entirely original per-se, but it’s been a blast to write. This project is titled…

Quigley Hubb: Space Detective

My name for this probably sucks, but writing a Space Detective short story has proved a lot of fun. I’ve had a few inclinations to write crime-based fiction but it never really took off and I got bitten well and truly by the sci-fi bug; Quigley Hubb gives me an opportunity to mix the two, try to write a bit more concisely, and moreover, have some genuine fun with characters and situations.

Quigley Hubb is an out-of-work investigator who’s had his last few Prezcos stolen and is led back into the murky world of freelance investigating. Delving into the world outside of the police, for characters whose shadows hold secrets that get restless in the dark, Quigley and his investigative partner Joey Federiko must get to the truth, even if it’s just to pay for the next beer in the fridge.

I planned for the first Quigley Hubb story – for I plan this to be like a series I add to every so often – which I’ve entitled Munro’s Wager to be only 5,000 words but I’ve revised that to around 8,000; ideally, instalments will be less than 10,000 words in length. I suck at brevity, so consider this the shortest of stories that I can produce.

I’ll embed the first Quigley Hubb story on my blog when it’s done, and I estimate this’ll be later next week. They’ll be free, and I won’t really be editing them much; I’m writing these to have a bit of fun myself, and I hope you enjoy them too!

I just think Quigley Hubb will be a fun distraction (which is a bad term that probably talks down Quigley; these stories will be valuable opportunities to just hone my craft a bit without sending 80,000 words down the toilet) between “major” projects – of which I’ve a few that I wanna work on, but getting Colonisation edited and ready for Kindle is my main project at the moment. But I have to say, been giving life to Quigley these last couple of weeks and it’s been a blast… literally as well as metaphorically!

Any similarities of Quigley Hubb to LA Noire, Sam & Max or Firefly are totally coincidental. Honest!

No comments:

Post a Comment