As of Jan 1st 2013, this blog is retired. If you're not redirected, click here!

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Passing Thoughts: Misdirected Prayer

Football and religion are two things that wind me up no end; and now, they’ve combined to form some mecha-annoyance designed to give me an aneurysm.

I’m going to win myself no friends here most likely, but tonight I had the, er, ‘privilege’ of seeing this retweet of a right pearl of wisdom from football’s golden miracle boy Fabrice Muamba:

To be honest, Muamba is neither the first nor the last sportsperson to ask for divine intervention in some sporting contest, and I don’t really blame him. Like most footballers, he’s probably not terribly intelligent, but I can let that pass today. Probably going to get a load of “you can’t criticise Muamba! He’s, well, Muamba!” but that matters not. I only respond to reasoned argument after all.

_lqhxadNc4Y1qh1sdyo1_500

And I really loathe the use of the “there’s bigger problems in this world…” argument of supressing any specialised or meaningful dialog, but seriously, praying for sporting achievement? Not only is praying an exercise in futility, but it is especially so when you’re praying for something ultimately meaningless as sporting achievement. Sometimes I wonder if we could get any more detached from reality and lose all sense of perspective.

If it’s really a pointless, spur of the moment thing, I’m either misunderstanding Twitter, or misunderstanding why the Tweet was even written.

Somehow, supposing he exists, I think we should prioritise God’s time better, that’s all… unless you have a meaningless favour to ask of him?

I’m now going to stick my fingers in my ears for the deluge of comments I’ll probably get…

2 comments:

  1. Far more irritating is "Please God I asked you to heal me from my sickness and you did." It just completely ignores the hard work and years of study and experience the doctors and medical staff who *actually* helped him and many others get better put in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah this happened to a disgusting extreme with the Muamba heart attack thing.

      Doctors, eh? What did they ever do... (apparently the one in the front row was placed their by God, or some crap like that. It's neverending bullshit...)

      Delete