As of Jan 1st 2013, this blog is retired. If you're not redirected, click here!

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Tweet-ennium

Twitter So it’s come to this, a blog post about an arbitrary milestone on Twitter.

But first, a few observations. I was wrong about Twitter before. I wrote a post 3 years ago where I decried Twitter as nothing but an incessant chatter box I’d need no use for, as I had a Facebook, and how things needn’t be eroded down into merely 140 characters.

As it turns out, I never followed those vacuous celebrities. People don’t talk about sandwiches or whatever (though most Trending Topics are ghastly and pop-related; alas, I ignore them). I don’t update my Twitter all the time, only when I feel I need to, when I have something to share.

There, I feel, is where the value lies.

For Twitter will be an important task for marketing Colonisation and The Last of the Steamers when the time comes. But aside from plugging my own interests, I’d like to feel I’ve made some friends on Twitter, and they respect and enjoy the rambles that I squeeze down into 140 letters for them, as I must say, it’s always fun to read what’s been going on with the various things I follow. Twitter is also very interesting in that it can react quicker to news as it literally develops. For instance, I first heard about the tragic passings of loved Doctor Who alumni Nicholas Courtney and Elisabeth Sladen on Twitter, only waiting to verify it on main news. I love the instantaneousness of it.

I’d also like to thank a few of my 75 followers for making this especially fun, and more importantly for making me feel like it’s been worth carrying on with the Tweets; if you’re not on the list, don’t fret! I value each and every follower, but do check these upstanding twits out! In no particular order…

@ellpooty @Carlos_Red @samuel_j_r @ActuallyKB @unseen4 @joewrob @procrastibaker 
@laurence_turner @loomcore and finally @rebeccavezey

So here’s to 2,000 tweets, and even more so, here’s to another (few) 2,000!

No comments:

Post a Comment