Happy new year, everyone!
Firstly, I didn’t do a Christmas or New Year’s message this time around. I don’t know if anyone actually cared, as I didn’t either. Being honest there, but I’ve a few other things to worry about then espousing vapid pleasantries over an online video. If I am going to make an online video blog, it’ll be more content-related. And I haven’t been able to do any because my ISP is a little finicky about my usage, so I’ll have to sort that out.
I had also mulled over the idea of doing a “review of the year” post at the end of December, but came to the same conclusion that I couldn’t be arsed. Had nothing really to report, anyway.
Nevertheless, I did think it would be fun to tell you my goals for this calendar year, for it proves to be a busy one!
And fear not, I’ve not been boring (or made it easy for you!) by just doing a bulleted list. Ha!
To start, I’ve two unfinished novels – The Last of the Steamers and Colonisation that I want to pledge to finish this year; one by the end of the first half of the year. This will probably be Colonisation, so gear yourself up for a trip to Mars for July 1st!
To accomplish this, I want to set aside regular writing time per day, of at least half an hour a day at least five days a week. Even if it’s not for a project, free writing can be good exercise too!
Last October, I bought myself a Kindle, and it’s been fantastic. What I want to make sure I do is use it well, and another resolution would be to read on my Kindle or whittle away at my stock of £1 paperbacks for at least thirty minutes a day. About two weeks ago I let a twenty-minute bedtime reading session last until 3AM by getting lost in the book I was reading (Get it here!) and it felt awesome. I want to try to steam through a book a month at least, and maybe two if possible! There’s a world of great books out there and I’ve been lucky so far in as much as I’ve found a few cracking free books that I want to enjoy. This is all part of the efforts I’m trying to make to rediscover reading and stuff like that since 2010. It’s all good!
I’m also making a few personal goals. The first of these is to eat healthy – one I’d made platitudes toward last time. But I mean it this time. Honest, yes sir, you can count on it. I’m also seriously considering returning to education in order to forward myself and get a new job this year, because my current one is not particularly enlightening and I feel I’m worth so much better. I know I talk about my writing a lot but for the time being it remains a hobby and interest; one that for now will not be able to supplement my lifestyle or home. I’m a realist and need a real job while I pursue these frivolities in my leisure time.
Speaking of leisure time… my last point of improvement in 2012 will be to procrastinate later and do worthwhile stuff now. Yeah, bask in the irony.
In regards to the blog? Well, might set up a separate one for my writing but I’m deciding currently whether that’s a good idea as I struggle to update my existing one as it is! Maybe I’ll pledge to do one meaty entry about a subject I feel strongly about a month. Should be good, along with a few mini-blogs to tide you insatiable vultures over.
One thing I won’t be doing is a breakdown of how I did on last year’s pledges. Because that would be depressing. Cheerio!
No comments:
Post a Comment