As of Jan 1st 2013, this blog is retired. If you're not redirected, click here!

Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Story on Page 6

Recently, I noticed that Facebook rejigged the profile area of their site – and it’s a pretty nice update. Everything’s graphical and hyperlinked to their Facebook Pages infrastructure, and, for once, hasn’t been met by an absolute tidal wave of “PUT IT BACK NOW!!” protest groups. Refreshing.

I’ve also taken the chance to scrub my profile and start re-inputting the information, things like favourite films, music, and my “philosophy” – consisting of my political and religious outlooks on life. Unsurprisingly, my new “Sports” section remains blank. I don’t do sports, nor do I have nay favourite athletes or teams, thank you very much.

I also took the decision to remove the details of my work information. The reasoning behind this is two-fold:

  • I maintain that I never discuss my work overtly, especially on my blog. This is in accordance with the ethics code at my workplace. They don’t want me to “blog my way into trouble”, and any opinions I have about my workplace I keep away from public view. Not because they’re bad, but because I am being careful to cover myself should anything be judged or discovered, however unlikely that is, to be not in my workplace’s interest.
  • When I had my work information filled out diligently on Facebook, it was hidden away neatly at the bottom of my Information tab. Now, a summary of one’s “story” is presented on two lines at the top of the page, no matter what section of my profile is being viewed. This is something I would rather not have, hence I removed it.

There was also, disappointingly, comments about my work and how it doesn’t give me the “right”, due to some unknown, twisted morality, to voice an opinion:

"I would rather listen to my shoe than the opinion of someone who works [Where Richard works]”

This is really stupid. Who decides who is “allowed” to have a valid opinion based on workplace or educational status? What gives this person, who goes to university and:

“[I] take pictures/ videos for club nights and meet people who have helped me to build up a large list of names that will help me get on with my career!“

- whatever that means - the right to judge me based solely on one fact that they know nothing about? Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and these sorts of stupid comments mar any chance of reasonable debate occurring. The debate these comments arose from was about university fees, which I have beaten to death already; I’m really refreshed by the sane, reasoned debates I have had on this subject with a variety of people. It’s been enjoyable, but these sorts of disappointing, juvenile, puerile comments need to be nipped in the bud; hence, I removed the piece of information that this bozo attempted to use against me.

Steady on, I’m not done voicing my opinion. If you’d rather listen to your footwear, dear reader, then please go away and do that. Don’t impugned that because I do what I do for a living it makes me any less of a person, with any less of a right to an opinion. It ain’t on.

Needless to say, when I attempted to rationalise and dispel the stigma of associating non-attendance at university with some form of lesser social status and intellectual ability by mentioning that I’d indulged successfully in NaNoWriMo – not a project for the faint-hearted, I might add, I received numerous things said about my book being essentially worthless, yada yada yada. Whatever. Just go off and “take pictures” or whatever it is you do, instead of using your opinion to tell me I’m not entitled to my own. Unless you can counter my points with a valid argument, shut up.

I’m sure I’ll surprise you all with how that goes.

Speaking of my opinion, I’m finally going to be stepping into the world of vlogs as of tomorrow, I think. I’ve prepared a subject with a few notes for tomorrow’s video, and I aim to make an impact on the video space as a supplement to my written blog. My video series is going to be called Room With A View – and the reasons for that will become apparent. I’ll also be making a new Christmas Message; my 2008 one went down with a positive reaction, and I will make these a yearly thing, barring last year when I lacked a camera. I’ll embed the 2008 one below.  I must say, and I’ll say no more until it’s done, that I am rather looking forward to coming to YouTube properly… in 720p high-definition! Cripes!

The 2008 Christmas message by Richard Holliday

No comments:

Post a Comment